I don't think this would be a good idea to not allow one podling
to release anything.
Let me state my thoughts: the goal of a podling is to build
a lively and heterogeneous community to be able to graduate.
Usually, there is one or more company behind a project. If there
are more than one company, the community will not be
completely homogeneous, so things will be eased.  So the problem is
when a single company provides resources for a given
project.  In such a case, other committers usually come from
the user community and this takes time.  I think that
one of the goal of the podling should be to build a user community,
 so that users can become developers.  So not allowing
podlings to release anything will certainly not help building / growing
the user community, hence the dev community.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet