On 3/18/07, Guillaume Nodet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So the problem is
when a single company provides resources for a given
project.  In such a case, other committers usually come from
the user community and this takes time.  I think that
one of the goal of the podling should be to build a user community,
 so that users can become developers.  So not allowing
podlings to release anything will certainly not help building / growing
the user community, hence the dev community.

+1.  This is the situation for the UIMA podling.  UIMA has had many
pre-apache releases and already has a significant user base.  We want
to get that user base moved over to using Apache UIMA and we think
that will help with building our community of developers.  To that end
we just put out our first incubating release.

If we couldn't put out a release I think we would have serious
difficulties getting our users to switch to the latest version of the
code, and this in turn would make it hard for them to become
contributors.

-Adam