On Oct 13, 2007, at 10:07 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Ant,

Are there any issues that should be pointed out, such as the (hopefully) mechanical licensing header issue in stdcxx, or community diversity, which at least in part is measuring independence from corporate backing (a popular thread this past month)? It seems that the latter should be well in hand,
but I'll not assume.  :-)

Noel

I've expressed some concern before about diversity and independence [1]. At the time, 11 out of 12 members proposed for the TLP's PMC worked for a single organization. Since then, a couple more people have been added but the ratio is still 13 out of 16. Yes, there are 3 organizations represented but control still lies with one bloc.

The project has voted in 19 new committers, but 12 of those work for the same organization as above. Many have dropped out - at this time there are only 2 committers active[2] who don't work for that organization, compared to 11 who do. Neither of the two independents are active in the core project areas of Java SCA or SDO (they are committing to the C++ implementation or to DAS).

Taking a quick sample of the mailing list, the only contributors to the discussion thread on Graduation, which I would assume would have been a hot topic, were from the vendor.

I think more work is needed to reduce the dependency on and influence by a single corporate.
--
Jeremy

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/ 200710.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[2] commit in the last 3 months