On 10/20/07, Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
> > > Wouldn't the community be healthier if it focused some effort
> > > on bringing in independent committers?
>
> > Its my understanding that the project is very focussed on encouraging
> > new committers and that this is having results.
>
> Where?  It seems to me that if it were having results, we wouldn't be
> having
> this discussion.
>
> I am happy to hear that Tuscany is open to new developers, but if we want
> base level of diversity, we need to actually have those new developers,
> not
> just be open to them.  Cross-fertilization between projects (Tuscany, Ode,
> CXF, Synapse, ServiceMix, et al) is one way to improve diversity, as well
> as
> improve synergies and integration.

My impression is that the current discussion only arises because Tuscany has
so many committers. If there were only 3 or 4 of them from a single
organization, nobody would be so worried about it, even if they had the bare
minimum of 3 independent committers. But they did welcome enough independent
committers while being in the incubator and there's actually a second
organization supporting the project as well.

Attracting a large quantity of independent developers while being in the
incubator is pretty hard, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect them to
find enough independents to balance all others.

Matthieu

        --- Noel