Ted Leung wrote:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:
> > If we tell you something is best-practice, why do *we* have to
> > defend ourselves?

Who is WE and YOU?  WE the ASF?  WE the Infra Team?  YOU a podling?  YOU a
fellow ASF Member?

> > Shouldn't people *know* what the actual position of the foundation
> > is before running around casting foundation votes?

Feel free to bring that up on members@ the next time we vote for Members and
Directors.

> As far as I know, the only condition to being put on this PMC is that
> a member ask to be added.

I must correct you, Ted.  That was NOT imposed on the PMC.  We voted to
impose that on ourselves.  I believe that it was the correct decision,
although I do take that into account when voting on new Members.

> This PMC operates by quoting written ASF policy to podlings so that
> the podlings can do the *right* thing.

+1

> This PMC is a major part of our interface to the rest of the world.
> That face should be fair, consistent, repeatable, and as free of
> frustration and controversy as possible.

+1

That said, there is no single "right" side to this discourse.  I'm
addressing tone in a seperate e-mail, but there is good intent on all sides
of this discussion.

        --- Noel