On Aug 20, 2009, at 10:12 , ant elder wrote:

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Bertrand
Delacretaz<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:

I agree with Bill that it's a good thing for the Incubator to clarify
best practices, and teach podlings to follow them even if older
projects sometimes don't. We tend to do the same for our kids, don't
we ? ;-)

I don't have any issue with trying to teach poddlings best practices
being a good idea, but i don't think the way we're handling poddling
releases is doing that. [...]

I think a big cause of frustration for poddlings and mentors is the
unpredictable nature of release reviews with each vote for a release
or RC respin getting a different set of best practice requirements
depending on who is around to review.

Bertrand's analogy about educating kids highlights the problem. No two parents raise their children in exactly the same way and if lots of them all give their interpretation about "values" and "best practices" the message can become quite confusing to these kids.

So is there anything that can be done to streamline that? Like having just the mentors of the project vote on the release, instead of everybody? If the mentors do a bad job, hold them accountable directly without "confusing" the project.

Does that make any sense?

Greetings, Marcel