On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Kevan Miller<kevan.mil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, let's assume that one or more OSGi spec implementations are a core part
> of Aries -- with specific features/customization for Aries. Personally, it
> seems reasonable that an Aries project would want these customized spec
> implementations close at hand -- within their project.

I would like to draw attention to "Pax Web", which is both a OSGi Http
Service implementation as well as many extensions, such as war, jsp,
filter support. Yet it is done in a way of a custom extension
mechanism (Pax Web Extender), so that if you only use Pax Web, you
only get the basic spec implementation, nothing more, nothing less. I
am sure a similar approach could be made here, where the clean spec
part is at one place and the customizations are "close at hand".

> What would be the
> benefit for the Aries community of developing these spec implementations at
> Felix?

Ideally, you have more people taking care of any issues. More
importantly, you need to think outside the project and ask "What would
be the benefit for ASF...?", and IMHO having a complete spec suite
from one place benefits ASF as a whole.

>> The only conclusions I see being drawn by people who have invested very
>> little in Felix is that we should dismantle the Felix charter so that we can
>> accommodate the fact that some people don't want to play with us.
>
> I don't know why anybody would want to "dismantle the Felix charter". I'm
> not sure why Aries would impact that one way or another...

Richard is over-reacting, and statements like that should be left for
it is; an attempt to blow things out of proportion to gain sympathy,
possibly out of frustration.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer