Having read all the discussions, I still have concerns about the
suggestion to put all OSGi spec implementation under Felix.  I don't
see this approach being taken for other specification organizations
(JCP, OASIS, etc.) and I think that is to the benefit of Apache.  For
example, whilst a goal of Geronimo is JEE compliance it does not host
all the implementations of the JEE specifications.  Having OpenEJB,
OpenJPA, Tomcat, etc as separate projects allows them to evolve
independent communities, with cross-pollination.  The domains,
technologies and skills required to cover the entirety of JEE are
diverse and the same is true for OSGi.  To put these under one project
would lead to sub-groups of different interests under one disjoint
umbrella community.

I also worry about the practicalities of saying that all OSGi spec
implementations belong in Felix.  This is a moving target, both within
each specification, where extensions may be created and then
standardized and also at the spec level, where new concepts are
created and then standardized.  Must these then move under the Felix
umbrella, which will undoubtedly create a lot of churn for users of,
and contributors to, Aries?

Thinking about the problem the way JEE is handled makes me wonder if
Felix could pull in spec implementations from Aries (and have
committers on Aries) and therefore still contribute to and provide the
distribution of the entire OSGi Service Platform.  Maybe this could be
done through Felix hosting a bundle repository (Felix commons?)?
Consumers of Felix would be able to get the OSGi Service Platform and
consumers of Aries would get the enterprise OSGi application portions.

I'd like to emphasize that the desire to be separate from Felix is in
no way a criticism of that project.  I have a huge amount of respect
for what Richard et al continue to achieve and having experienced
first-hand the value the combination of Felix and Equinox bring to the
OSGi standards, I sincerely believe that OSGi is far stronger as a
result.

The desire to remain separate is based purely on the belief that this
is the approach which will best serve the goals of evolving an
enterprise OSGi application programming model, and a community around
its definition.  This rationale is also the reason why Geronimo was
not suggested (an equally valid choice given the majority of the
Enterprise OSGi specifications leverage JEE technologies).  I guess
what I don't understand is why the Incubator would not prove or
disprove this belief, without making a prior decision?

Regards, Graham.