On Feb 24, 2010, at 8:18 AM, James Carman wrote:

> We already have Apache Commons Validator.  Why not just bring this
> code into that project?

Heh. That's been pretty well discussed, already, by both Commons and Incubator.
You can scan the logs for details. The subject was "[PROPOSAL] Validation
incubator for JSR-303 Bean Validation". I think the following sums up where we
landed on that issue (at least it pretty well sums up where I landed on the
issue):

On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:55 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> I think we'd agree that a fair amount of community building will be
>> required for this new codebase and group of committers. [However,]
>> given the small makeup of the Commons Validator community, I don't
>> think it's reasonable to expect the Commons community to do this
>> community building.
>
> That seems a cogent enough explanation to warrant Incubation.  Thank you.  I
> also believe that when you talk about multiple projects collaborating
> actively on a shared, but separately useable, codebase, a TLP is often
> justified.

--kevan