On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Christian Lippka <c...@lippka.com> wrote:

> While the technical analyze here seems (should not use that word) correct my
> understanding is that missing bits could still be provided if requested. But
> this must be answered by people who are making the negotiations.

I'll share my understanding.

My first input was that any incubator proposal that was not
accompanied by a substantial software grant would not get serious
consideration.  After a serious of miscommunications on both (ASF and
Oracle's) sides I got on the phone directly with the Oracle VP driving
this, and said that all we needed at this time was a substantial list
to start from.  If we needed more, we could discuss that later.

This was approximately noon EDT on 31 May.  After discussions with
lawyers and collection of a list of files, the Software Grant was sent
via email at 8:50PM PDT the same day.  Others with no association to
either IBM or Oracle can verify this basic timeline.

My best guess is that while the list may be incomplete, it contains
only files that Oracle could determine with absolutely certainty under
incredible time pressure that they have the necessary rights to
include a standard ASF software grant.

While Oracle has absolutely no obligation to produce anything more,
and people are welcome to factor that into their decisions once this
comes up to a vote, nothing I have seen has indicated that anybody at
Oracle is operating in anything other than good faith.

It is my expectation that if we make reasonable requests and that if
those requests are within Oracle's power to fulfill those requests,
that we will obtain subsequent software grants.

- Sam Ruby