On 07/06/11 11:42, Christian Lippka wrote:
Hi Thorsten,

Am 07.06.2011 11:09, schrieb Thorsten Behrens:
Simon Brouwer wrote:
The real question is whether anything essential is missing that Oracle
can't supply and that is very difficult to replace.

If you re-read Christian's mail, the answer to both is "yes". And
another remark: given the overall state of the code (~20 years of
sedimentation), the full project history is of great value, when one
tries to figure out how one specific piece of code came to pass.

yes, the history is definitely valuable; in fact i sometimes am frustrated that it only starts in 2000 and misses out the first 10 years...

All of that makes starting off from the hg repo appear desirable ...
While I fully agree that the commit history is of value, I do not see
the need to
include them when switching to AL. IMHO it is perfectly legal for anyone
to clone
the currently available repositories and archive them and also make them
available
publicly. So those information will not be lost, this is the internet :-)

certainly a valid point.
but not having to go to "some other place" to access the history is convenient.

This is not an argument against having the history, I'm perfectly fine
with that
solution also. But in this case my personal preference would be to start
clean.

i don't agree with this.

not using the current HG repository will create a lot of pain when integrating the currently outstanding CWSes (assuming those will be donated as well, of course).

for example, take a look at the contents of CWS aw080, which replaces the tools RTTI with C++ standard RTTI, with changes all over the place, and as a patch is >10MB, and tell me that you want to apply that patch manually against a code base that has diverged (losing the CWS internal history in the process).

besides, as you already noted, there are the scalability problems of SVN's merge tracking, that made it unusable with OOo's branch-heavy development model after half a year.

having used HG for years now, i see the proposal to use SVN as a big regression for OOo development.

regards,
 michael

Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions as an individual interested in the future of an open source office suite. I do not speak for my current employer.