On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:37 PM, <robert_w...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/07/2011 05:50:49 PM:
>

> > Besides the content Oracle owns, it seems we could just ask the other
> owners
> > to give the CWS's to the ASF. I mean, really... *somebody* out there
> holds
> > the copyright. We just have to determine who, and then ask. Some
> definite
> > legwork, but it seems doable.
>

> I was assuming that the CWS's contributed to OOo were already covered
> under the JCA, Sun Contributor Agreement or Oracle Contributor Agreement,
> depending on the date:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Joint_Copyright_Assignment
>
> Or is that note the case?  Anyone know?

Anything contributed would definitely fall into that category, yes. The only
possible exception would be work originating from Sun, which could
potentially be using code from other sources that Sun had sourced but not
yet got round to open sourcing. Sun had a rigorous process for ensuring all
inbound code was tracked and cleared before use. Code in this condition
would be capable of being open source licensed, so Oracle would be free to
simply include it in the grant too.

Net: I don't personally see any obstacles, apart from Oracle legal
satisfying themselves that all the processes had, in fact, been followed.

S.