Thanks Sebb and Kevan. This is helpful.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Your svn contains a number of jar files. I don't believe that the
> LICENSE/NOTICE file properly reflects the license/notice requirements of
> these jar files.
> 2) Why are these jars being stored in your svn at all?
> 3) Your LICENSE file only includes the ALv2 license. Yet your binary artifact
> (and your source) include artifacts with non-ALv2 licenses. For instance
> jopt-simple is MIT. All of the relevant licenses need to be included in your
> LICENSE file. You have the SCALA license in the notice file. I would expect
> it to be in the LICENSE file

Most of the licenses I found included among/in jar files. Aggregating
licenses for all included jars in the top level LICENSE is required?

Plans to avoid distributing jars have been discussed on the dev list.
That will probably be part of a subsequent release.

A source tarball shouldn't be too difficult to produce, as long as
it's just a tarball of the release tag.

> 4) Your NOTICE file includes lot's of "This product includes X, developed by
> X.org" Your notice file should only include notices that you are *required*
> to have. Don't include acknowledgements in your notice file just for
> completeness.

Just to be clear: why not?

> That's what needs to be included in your NOTICE file. For differently
> licensed artifacts, you need to follow the requirements of their licenses.
> BTW, it looks like hadoop and pig projects are distributing jars without
> license/notice files?

Very likely, but if we could leave that off of Kafka's critical path
that would be appreciated.

> 5) Your source/binary don't have a DISCLAIMER. An incubation disclaimer is
> required.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-disclaimer

Doesn't list the text for this disclaimer (used the one from RAT below)

Just to summarize this round of feedback, the contents of the NOTICE,
DISCLAIMER, and LICENSE should be as follows:

NOTICE
Apache Kafka
Copyright ?-2011 The Apache Software Foundation.

<for all NOTICE files in all included jars, append contents to this file>

DISCLAIMER

Apache Kafka is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software
Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the Incubator PMC. Incubation is
required of all newly accepted projects until a further review
indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful
ASF projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection
of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that
the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

LICENSE
<copy of ALv2 license>
<for all non ALv2 licenses (e.g. jopt-simple, SCALA), append to license file>

Is this correct? -C