On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:

> Can anybody please point me to the result of the conversation that
> defines our current understanding of what goes into NOTICE and what
> doesn't so I don't give bad advice to podlings?  I'm pretty sure this
> must have changed over the years and I was conditioned with a different
> interpretation from what it is now.
>
> Is it
>
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license>
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice>
>
> (which fortunately don't disagree with each other)
>
> ?

I think a little while back it seemed to be understood that pretty
much any copyright you might find in the project code or any of the
licenses it used should be copied into the NOTICE file, and thats why
you see some NOTICE file with lots of content. Thats changed and now
the view is there are very few things that should actually be added to
the notice file.

The most authoritative place is the link those links already link to -
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice - which says "...The
remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required third-party
notices.". The problem is that what are "required third-party notices"
is not really described anywhere.

There was some helpful discussion about this in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-59 and the ML discussion
around that, for example,
http://apache.markmail.org/message/u66o5ucyfquxjl7i?q=LEGAL-59, and
theres also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-62