On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 10:53:43AM -0800, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> I think that some votes on this list are overly critical, often laden with
> personal opinions and not real Foundation requirements.  This leads to a
> very frustrating experience to new podling members who are unable to tell
> the difference.

Not as frustrating as putting up a release candidate which twists in the wind
for weeks waiting for a IPMC member to review because Mentors are awol!  The
few individuals who do this thankless work on a regular basis are crucial to
the functioning of the Incubator, and are doing far more than their share to
make up for a collective failure.

Note that if a release garners 3 +1 votes, it doesn't matter if it got any -1
votes:

    Votes on Package Releases

    Votes on whether a package is ready to be released follow a format similar
    to majority approval -- except that the decision is officially determined
    solely by whether at least three +1 votes were registered.  *Releases may
    not be vetoed.*  Generally the community will cancel the release vote if
    anyone identifies serious problems, but in most cases the ultimate
    decision, once three or more positive votes have been garnered, lies with
    the individual serving as release manager. The specifics of the process
    may vary from project to project, but the 'minimum of three +1 votes' rule
    is universal.

Thus, if other IPMC members are dissatisfied with the efforts of their fellow
volunteers, they have the power to overrule them so long as they are willing
to do the work.

Marvin Humphrey