Sorry screaming kids prevented me from reviewing properly. one sentence was
made incomprehensible by autocorrect...

On Nov 27, 2011 8:09 PM, "Ross Gardler" <rgard...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> I sympathize with you're comments, however, I do want to point out that
the problems are more to do with the Project committers and mentors than
the process (although documentation can always be improved).

> As evidence I submit the Apache Rave poddling. This project made its
first release within a couple of months of entering the incubator and has
made a release every month since (I've not checked the dates, but I think
this statement is accurate).

> Rave achieved this because Ate Douma (mentor) pointed to the appropriate
docs. Matt Franklin read and understood the docs and did a release. Ate
watched and advised throughout the process. The first trekker took a couple
of cycles to get right. All sidewinder releases have been "simple".

The first release took a couple of cycles to get right. All subsequent
releases have been "simple".

> Please don't think I'm saying there is no value in your mail, there is.
We can certainly improve in the support we provide. To address your
specific points:

> 1. Your mentors are the example, if they are not guiding you ask if
anyone here can help.

> 2. Different views of different people is difficult to resolve (see
Roberts recent mail on the same topic). My advice is to understand the
(admittedly confusing) documentation. If that doesn't help ask on the
appropriate list (here if you don't know which list)

> 3. Clone or best mentors - sorry nothing better to suggest here
>
> 4. Get it right first time (mentors like Ate only let it go to a vote if
it is ready, so 72 hours is called once only). Also know the rules with
respect to release voting (see Joe's mail).

> Finally, and most importantly, help us improve the process (as you are
doing with this mail). Given my responses above is there anything concrete
you suggest we do to improve things (patches to docs seem like an obvious
start - most of those docs are written by people who already do Apache
releases).