On Dec 6, 2011, at 12:54 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

> Here's another one, say Apache TLP A includes works from Apache TLP B,
> is this (B) a "third-party" work or not? Are the "parties" in this
> case singular "the ASF" or the TLPs? Specifically, do I need to
> include the NOTICE file from B in the NOTICE file for A?

The parties are the ASF, not the TLPs. However, that doesn't mean you can
completely ignore TLP B's NOTICE file.

TLP B's NOTICE file should contain the notice information for TLP B followed by
the required information for B's third-party works.

TLP A's NOTICE does not need to (or should not) include the notice information
for TLP B (we're all part of the ASF), but TLP A's NOTICE does need to include
the third-party information from TLP B's NOTICE file.

Concretely, assume this is TLP B's NOTICE:

   Apache B
   Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation

   This product includes software developed by

   Portions of this software were developed by the Foo project at http://foo.org

The portion of this NOTICE relevant to TLP A is the information about the Foo
project. TLP A's NOTICE file need not mention TLP B, but does need to mention
Foo (assuming your embedding of B includes Foo). If it's obvious that the Foo
does not apply to your use of B (i.e. Foo is used for a C client that is not
used by TLP A), then you need not mention Foo.

Assuming Foo is relevant, A's NOTICE would be:

   Apache A
   Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation

   This product includes software developed by

   Portions of this software were developed by the Foo project at http://foo.org

--kevan