On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Personally I don't believe whirr is in error. Voldemort is under
>> Apache 2.0 license, and as such falls under this:
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
>
> See paragraph 4.4 of Apache License ver 2.0.
> If Voldemort contains a NOTICE file, then it must be carried forward.
> If it doesn't, IMHO you should have an entry in NOTICE that says the
> work contains the Voldemort component.

Hm, it does have a notice, it's pretty big/hairy:
https://github.com/voldemort/voldemort/blob/master/NOTICE

perhaps you can help me understand this a bit better, 4.4 addresses
"Derivative Works", which afaict whirr is not:

""Derivative Works" shall mean any work, whether in Source or Object
form, that is based on (or derived from) the Work and for which the
editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications
represent, as a whole, an original work of authorship. For the
purposes of this License, Derivative Works shall not include works
that remain separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the
interfaces of, the Work and Derivative Works thereof."

as whirr is "merely linking to the interfaces of" the work (whirr
pulls in the jar file of/from voldemort) and not making any
revision/annotation/....modifications of the original. Am I not
reading that right? (IANAL)

I also notice in 4.4 where is says "excluding those notices that do
not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works". Given that whirr is
only including a single jar - from voldemort itself, not
jetty/junit/etc... would it not be correct to say that these other
notices do not pertain to whirr's use?

Thanks!

Patrick