On Dec 2, 2011, at 3:51 PM, Jakob Homan wrote:

> So I hope it's clear why it's frustrating to
> have this rule suddenly pop up when it's apparently not enforced in
> the majority of cases (and then to be asked to go and open JIRAs for
> each of these projects on top of it).

This requirement is fairly well documented, IMO. The incubator's release
documentation is here --
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

The LICENSE and NOTICE file requirements are documented here --
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license.
 I don't think this should come as a big surprise...

OK. Some of that wording is too weak, IMO. "All the licenses on all the files
to be included within a package should be included in the LICENSE document. "
The "should be" is probably referring to a single LICENSE file as opposed to
multiple license files in a license/ directory.

I do understand that this is a frustrating process. You have code that's ready
and want to release it. Many projects going through the incubator have gone
through this same pain. However, it is important, IMO.

I spend a fair amount of time on the Geronimo project. We have a lot of
dependencies… http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/LICENSE

We document source and binary licenses in a single LICENSE/NOTICE file. I have
seen projects maintain separate LICENSE/NOTICE files for their source and
binary distributions.  To be honest, I'm not sure what form is preferred. I'd
be happy to see either…

--kevan