> There is a sample NOTICE file linked [1] from ASF Source Header and
> Copyright Notice Policy [2]
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-examplenotice
> [2] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

As someone trying to generate these documents, I'm actually finding
these to be poor examples when trying to see what should and should
not be in NOTICE.  On
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice, under NOTICE
file, there is "The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for
required third-party notices." with a link to "What Are Required
Third-party Notices?" However, this text doesn't talk about NOTICE,
but LICENSE: Apache releases should contain a copy of each license,
usually contained in the LICENSE document.

And the httpd NOTICE doesn't provide many examples (there are only
three non-Apache items listed).  These don't answer questions such as:
Do other Apache projects need to be listed in NOTICE as well (which
was answered in the email exchange above, but as such won't of much
use to the next Podling that comes along), or Do other Apache projects
need to be noted in the LICENSE file (not answered here, that I can
see), or How to include reference 3rd party jars in the LICENSE file
that are also Apache 2.0 licensed?

Casting about for an example more relevant, I come across Whirr's 0.4
release, which was +1'ed from Incubator and take a look at its
NOTICE.txt (from
http://people.apache.org/~asavu/whirr-0.4.0-incubating-candidate-2/):
Apache Whirr
Copyright 2010-2011 The Apache Software Foundation

And then the jars that are included in the source distribution:
./services/cassandra/lib/apache-cassandra-0.7.0.jar
./services/cassandra/lib/libthrift-0.5.jar
./services/hadoop/lib/hadoop-test-0.20.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
./services/voldemort/lib/linkedin-voldemort-0.90.RC3.jar

Voldemort was not developed at the ASF and isn't listed in NOTICE.
This candidate was +1ed and released. Was this in error?

Regardless, I've made an honest attempt to build the NOTICE and
LICENSE files necessary for a source release based on bringing most of
the jars in via Maven at KAFKA-221
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-221) and would very much
appreciate a quick look at that to see if it's correct, before we call
another vote.
-Jakob