On 8 December 2011 14:30, Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not saying this is a big factor in the lack of response, but
>>> normally votes include all the relevant information in the e-mail.
>>> In this case one has to go digging through another e-mail (using an
>>> offsite link as well) to find the details.
>>> The easier it is made for users, the more likely they are to respond.
>>>
>>> I'm copying the details below in case that helps anyone else:
>>>
>>> ===============================
>>> After our community graduation vote lead to a lengthy discussion about
>>> the 0.8.0-incubator release we did, we decided to roll a new ACE
>>> release, based on the original release.
>>>
>>> In the release we fix the issue that our previous source artifacts did
>>> not contain a pom.xml so building them was hard. You can now download
>>> a single, or all sources, and build them with a single command. Also,
>>> we added an extra artifact that contains the full source code, which
>>> is there for convenience in case someone wants to download all the
>>> sources and start developing from there. We did that in a way that is
>>> somewhat similar to Sling, but instead of using svn:externals we used
>>> Maven to generate this artifact (for more see the README.txt inside
>>> org.apache.ace.release.full 0.8.1-incubator) -- hence,
>>>
>>> I would like to call a vote on the following ace 0.8.1-incubator
>>> subproject releases:
>>>
>>> ace-pom 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.client.automation
>>> 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.client.repository.api 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.base 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.bundle 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.configuration 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.client.repository.helper.user 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.client.repository.impl 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.client.repository.useradmin 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.configurator 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.configurator.serveruseradmin 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.configurator.useradmin.task 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.consolelogger 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.api 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.deploymentadmin 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.api 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.base 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.filebased 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.provider.repositorybased 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.servlet 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.streamgenerator 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.deployment.task 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.discovery.api 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.discovery.property 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.discovery.upnp 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.gateway.log 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.gateway.log.store 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.httplistener 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.identification.api 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.identification.ifconfig 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.identification.property 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.launcher 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.location.upnp
>>> 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.log 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.log.listener 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.log.servlet
>>> 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.log.task 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.managementagent 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.amazon 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.api 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.nodelauncher.ui 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.obr.metadata 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.obr.servlet
>>> 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.obr.storage 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.range.api 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.release.full
>>> 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.repository.api 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.repository.ext 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.repository.impl 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.repository.servlet 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.repository.task 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.resourceprocessor.useradmin 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.scheduler 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.scheduler.api
>>> 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.server.action 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.server.action.popupmessage 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.server.log.store 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.tageditor 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.target.defaults 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.target.devgateway 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.target.devserver 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.util
>>> 0.8.1-incubator org.apache.ace.webconsole.plugin 0.8.1-incubator
>>> org.apache.ace.webui.vaadin 0.8.1-incubator
>>>
>>> Staging repositories:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheace-259/
>>>
>>> Tags: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ace/releases/
>>
>> Hard work checking/downloading those, as the directory still contains
>> the 0.8.0 tags.
>>
>>> Verify: You can download the keys used to sign the release from:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ace/trunk/KEYS
>>>
>>> Download: You can use this UNIX script to download the release and
>>> verify the signatures:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ace/trunk/check_staged_release.sh
>>>
>>> Usage: sh check_staged_release.sh 259 /tmp/ace-staging
>>>
>>> Build: Find the source-release.{zip|tar.gz} in the /tmp/ace-staging
>>> and follow the README.txt. If you want to build all in one go, start
>>> with:
>>> /tmp/ace-staging/259/org/apache/ace/org.apache.ace.release.full/0.8.1-incubator/org.apache.ace.release.full-0.8.1-incubator.zip
>>>
>>> Get all source and build with one download:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheace-259/org/apache/ace/org.apache.ace.release.full/0.8.1-incubator/org.apache.ace.release.full-0.8.1-incubator.zip
>>
>> This does not actually contain everything in the releases/ folder
>> tree; it does not contain the contents of
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ace/releases/org.apache.ace.release.full-0.8.1-incubator/
>
> No, it does not contain that one as it is the result of that one. If
> you look at the:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheace-259/org/apache/ace/org.apache.ace.release.full/0.8.1-incubator/org.apache.ace.release.full-0.8.1-incubator-source-release.zip
>
> source release of it then you can see that we released its source as well.
>
>> It does contain lots of files that don't appear to be in SVN, for
>> example velocity.log and DISCLAIMER/NOTICE/LICENSE
>
> They are either in the tags or they are generated by maven during a
> release/build. They don't have to be in svn as we don't release svn.

SVN provides traceability; a random collection of source files in a
zip would be very difficult to trace back to the originals.
AIUI that's one reason why source releases should only contain files
that are in SVN or directly derived therefrom.

AFAICT the velocity.log files are just noise, and could be excluded
(not a blocker).

> However, they are generated if you build/release what is inside svn.
>
>> There is also a top-level pom.xml which does not appear to be in the SVN tags
>
> Same thing, it is generated upon release based on what is in svn. In
> this case, it is based on:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ace/releases/org.apache.ace.release.full-0.8.1-incubator/src/main/resources/release-reactor.xml
>
> I think your confusion is that it is a combined source artifact along
> the line of what sling is doing. We had some discussions on the
> approach:
>
> http://apache.markmail.org/thread/4hloen52iewblpqs
>
> It is there for convenience in case someone wants to download all the
> sources in one go and start developing from there. We did that in a
> way that is somewhat similar to Sling, but instead of using
> svn:externals we used Maven to generate this artifact (for more see
> the README.txt inside org.apache.ace.release.full 0.8.1-incubator).

[BTW, that is rather hard to read, owing to very long lines - max
nearly 525 chars.]

So is it possible to start with the combined zip file and produce all
the artifacts that are stored in the Nexus repo?

Or are there additional files that would need to be obtained from SVN?

Just tried "mvn install" on the zip, and it failed with:

[INFO] Building Apache ACE :: Log :: Listener
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
The system is out of resources.
Consult the following stack trace for details.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
[INFO] Final Memory: 65M/314M

What Maven settings are needed to build from source?