On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 6:17 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 16:54, Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That fixed it for me; perhaps should be added to README.txt.
>>
>> Yeah, that makes sense.
>>
>>> The NOTICE file seems to have gathered some unnecessary verbiage.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>

>>> This product includes software developed at
>>> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>> Licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
>>> <<<
>>>
>>> should be just
>>>

>>> This product includes software developed at
>>> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>> <<<
>>>
>>> Similarly for all the other products - the license details belong in
>>> the LICENSE file, for example see the httpd versions:
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/NOTICE
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE
>>>
>>> Httpd don't include 3rd party code using AL 2.0, but this can easily
>>> be documented by adding a list of products that use the AL 2.0 after
>>> the license text.
>>>
>>> It's a lot easier for end users if all the 3rd party products are
>>> listed in the LICENSE file.
>>
>> Yeah, that makes sense.
>>
>>> I could not find the CDDL license.
>>
>> Ups, yes, I see - the LICENSE contains the notice section of the code
>> under CDDL instead of the CDDL license itself (in the LICENSE see:
>> Jersey and JSR-250 License). Don't think this is a blocker as it is at
>> least saying it is licensed under CDDL this way but we need to fix
>> this to contain the actual CDDL license text for the next release.
>
> Sorry, but I think the problems with the NOTICE and LICENSE file go
> deeper than that.
>
> For example, for xstream, the license is at:
>
> http://xstream.codehaus.org/license.html
>
> This starts:
>

> Copyright (c) 2003-2006, Joe Walnes
> Copyright (c) 2006-2009, XStream Committers
> All rights reserved.
>
> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
>
> Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice ...
> <<<
>
> However, the copy in the LICENSE file omits the first paragraph entirely.
> Which makes a nonsense of of the third (now second) paragraph as it
> references a non-existent copyright notice.

Hm, but that copyright notice is inside the NOTICE.

> The LICENSE file must contain the full license; the NOTICE file should
> contain whatever notice is required by the license.
>
> I think the same applies to at least one other entry in the license
> file (knoplerfish)

Yeah, that seems to be the pattern. Again, the copyright notice is
there but in the NOTICE. The licenses in the LICENSE files are missing
the copyright header.

> In the case of dual licensed files (Jersey and JSR-250 License) the
> NOTICE file should clearly state which one is being used, e.g.
>
>>>:>
> This product includes xxx from Oracle
> The software is included under the CDDL License.
> <<<

It does:

This product includes software developed at Oracle.
Copyright (c) 2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
Licensed under the CDDL.

regards,

Karl