On 8 December 2011 15:28, Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, it does not contain that one as it is the result of that one. If
>>> you look at the:
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheace-259/org/apache/ace/org.apache.ace.release.full/0.8.1-incubator/org.apache.ace.release.full-0.8.1-incubator-source-release.zip
>>>
>>> source release of it then you can see that we released its source as well.

>>> They are either in the tags or they are generated by maven during a
>>> release/build. They don't have to be in svn as we don't release svn.
>>
>> SVN provides traceability; a random collection of source files in a
>> zip would be very difficult to trace back to the originals.
>> AIUI that's one reason why source releases should only contain files
>> that are in SVN or directly derived therefrom.
>
> I agree, and that is the case.
>
>> AFAICT the velocity.log files are just noise, and could be excluded
>> (not a blocker).
>
> Yes, they are.
>
>>> However, they are generated if you build/release what is inside svn.

>>> Same thing, it is generated upon release based on what is in svn. In
>>> this case, it is based on:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ace/releases/org.apache.ace.release.full-0.8.1-incubator/src/main/resources/release-reactor.xml
>>>
>>> I think your confusion is that it is a combined source artifact along
>>> the line of what sling is doing. We had some discussions on the
>>> approach:
>>>
>>> http://apache.markmail.org/thread/4hloen52iewblpqs
>>>
>>> It is there for convenience in case someone wants to download all the
>>> sources in one go and start developing from there. We did that in a
>>> way that is somewhat similar to Sling, but instead of using
>>> svn:externals we used Maven to generate this artifact (for more see
>>> the README.txt inside org.apache.ace.release.full 0.8.1-incubator).
>>
>> [BTW, that is rather hard to read, owing to very long lines - max
>> nearly 525 chars.]
>>
>> So is it possible to start with the combined zip file and produce all
>> the artifacts that are stored in the Nexus repo?
>
> Yes. The only exception is the combining project as well, which is
> part of the release (see previous mail) but not included in the
> combined zip file it produces.
>
>> Or are there additional files that would need to be obtained from SVN?
>
> No. It is self-contained.
>
>> Just tried "mvn install" on the zip, and it failed with:
>>
>> [INFO] Building Apache ACE :: Log :: Listener
>> [INFO]    task-segment: [install]
>> The system is out of resources.
>> Consult the following stack trace for details.
>> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>> [INFO] Final Memory: 65M/314M
>>
>> What Maven settings are needed to build from source?
>
> Depends on your environment etc. For me, it builds out of the box but
> just in case:
>
> export MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1024m

That fixed it for me; perhaps should be added to README.txt.

The NOTICE file seems to have gathered some unnecessary verbiage.

For example:

Licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
<<<

should be just

<<<

Similarly for all the other products - the license details belong in
the LICENSE file, for example see the httpd versions:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/NOTICE
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE

Httpd don't include 3rd party code using AL 2.0, but this can easily
be documented by adding a list of products that use the AL 2.0 after
the license text.

It's a lot easier for end users if all the 3rd party products are
listed in the LICENSE file.

I could not find the CDDL license.