On Jan 9, 2012, at 9:11 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2012 10:03 PM, "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com> wrote:
>> And, no, the discussion has not been with the Trac community -- it was
>> in private with a few individuals; as far as Apache is concerned,
>> it never happened.
>
> And Oracle's private conversations, and their decisions regarding OOo
> contrary to the community, were somehow acceptable?

Acceptable to whom?  Oracle owned the copyright on the code.
LibreOffice is not the community for Oracle's codebase -- it is just
the most public and successful of the earlier forks.  Oracle made the
choice of where they wanted to contribute their own code, long before
they contacted the ASF.  I am damn sure that we didn't have any
significant private discussion with Oracle before their proposal was
submitted to the incubator.  IBM did, I presume, and maybe a few others
acting as individuals, but not the ASF.

As far as Apache is concerned, those private discussions didn't happen.
The Apache work began with a public proposal, and it wasn't until then
that Oracle could be said to have discussed it with the Apache community.

Is the result acceptable to us?  Yes.  Acceptable to the LibreOffice community?
Probably not, but it wasn't their's to contribute even if they had wanted
to do so.  Oracle was the only entity with the ability to relicense that
code to the ASF.

> There is no fork in the current plan, so this discussion is moot anyways.

I believe the point was to settle the issue so that we don't have to
deal with this situation again.

....Roy