On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM, David Nalley <da...@cloudstack.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Plan"...What do the patents cover/restrict?  Is a patent even
>> compatible with ALv2?
>>

> Speaking only for myself, Section 3 of ALv2 seems to address patents
> held by contributors. Or am I misunderstanding the concern around
> patents?

No, if I'm reading ALv2 section 3 right, that essentially says people
that use the ALv2-licensed material are granted the right to use the
material in the same way that they would if the contributor of the
material had a patent on it and granted license to that patent.  The
proposal, on the other hand, says Citrix has filed for patents on the
material they're donating and will continue to do so.  I'm wondering
what they think the patents are intended to accomplish if, by the ALv2
license, just about anyone is permitted to do just about anything with
the code.

Don (who INAL)