On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 21:37, David Nalley <da...@cloudstack.org> wrote:
>  For
> better or worse I don't perceive ASF having the desire to or currently
> the ability to deal with filing for patents, or even if they would be
> entitled to in this situation.

I'm not sure that we have a *specific* policy against the ASF
filing/holding patents. But I can definitely state that we would have
a preference against it. My read of the current Directors doesn't see
any immediate change to that policy either.

IOW, companies are free to file/hold patents on technology that the
ASF ships. No problem, as our License is specifically designed to
allow that situation. The ASF itself would like to stay out of
patents, however.

Cheers,
-g

ps. I could envision a future where the ASF owns patents in some kind
of "open license pool" or somesuch (eg. something like OIN)