Patent law isn't the same as Copyright law- the idea
that you can "do anything you want" with patents covered
by Apache Licensed code will only wind up getting you
sued someday (IANAL).

Do consult a lawyer if you need advice on how any particular
patent may be implemented outside of code received directly
under the Apache License.  No doubt there is some degree
of latitude, but it is far short of what an arbitrary
"derivative work" might try to do.