Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> The ONLY issue I see for Flume to graduate is diversity.  No one will
> convince me that the current makeup constitutes diversity of any kind.
>
> Perhaps I shouldn't have brought up the mailing list issues as that was
> only meant in the spirit of trying to offer some advice on how more
> diversity could be achieved.  Flume is really the only community I
> participate in that contains Cloudera employees so I do find myself
> wondering if the way the project is run is because that is the way all
> projects with a large number of Cloudera employees are run.  That might
> make all of those participants comfortable but might create a barrier to
> others.

Here are the committers who have been active in the past three months:

* Brock Noland (Cloudera)
* Hari Shreedharan  (Cloudera)
* Jarek Jarcec Cecho (AVG Technologies)
* Juhani Connolly   (CyberAgent)
* Mike Percy (Cloudera)
* Mingjie Lai (Trend Micro)
* Prasad Mujumdar (Cloudera)
* Will McQueen (Cloudera)
* Arvind Prabhakar (Cloudera)

There are four companies represented in this list: AVG Technologies,
Cloudera, CyberAgent and Trend Micro. Compared to other projects that have
successfully graduated from Incubator in the past, this meets the diversity
requirements very well.

> In any case - I'm not insisting that the way the project is run needs to
> change. I'm simply saying I cannot support graduation with the current
> makeup of the committers and PMC. I don't have a hard and fast ratio -
> gaining 10 new unaffiliated committers who don't do much isn't nearly as
> good as 2 or 3 who are very active.  Ultimately the project needs to figure
> out how to solve this.

Stating that some committers "who don't do much isn't nearly as good as 2
or 3 who are very active" is an unfair characterization. This is more
unfair for those who are part of the project but have not been active
lately due to whatever reasons, but have played a foundational role in
getting the project to a point where it is today. I think they are as
important as any other committer who may be very active at the moment.
Merit once earned, never expires [1].

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#committer-set-term

Arvind