On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 13:32 -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Per the IPMC's "Guide to Successful Graduation" [1] this is the
> > optional, but recommended, community vote for us to express our
> > willingness/readiness to govern ourselves.  If this vote passes then
> > we continue by drafting a charter, submitting it for IPMC endorsement,
> > and then to the ASF Board for final approval.   Details can be found
> > in the "Guide to Successful Graduation".
> >
> > Everyone in the community is encouraged to vote.  Votes from PPMC
> > members and Mentors are binding.  This vote will run 72-hours.
> >

> > [ ] +1  Apache OpenOffice community is ready to graduate from the
> > Apache Incubator.
> > [ ] +0 Don't care.
> > [ ] -1  Apache OpenOffice community is not ready to graduate from the
> > Apache Incubator because...
>
> In my opinion, the issue of binary releases ought to be resolved before
> graduation.
>
> If the podling believes that ASF-endorsed binaries are a hard requirement,
> then it seems to me that the ASF is not yet ready for AOO and will not be
> until suitable infrastructure and legal institutions to support binary
> releases (sterile build machines, artifact signing, etc) have been created
> and a policy has been endorsed by the Board.
>
> One possibility discussed in the past was to have downstream commercial
> vendors release binaries a la Subversion's example, which would
> obviate the need for all the effort and risk associated with providing support
> for ASF-endorsed binaries.  For whatever reason, the AOO podling seems not to
> have gone this direction, though.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Hi Marvin,

Well, for myself, I don't have a problem with the AOO project not having
official binary releases - in such a circumstance I would strongly
prefer no binary release at all.

On the other hand if there is a binary release from the AOO project then
I believe it should be treated as a fully endorsed action.

One guys opinion.

Thanks

Drew Jensen
AOO PPMC member