On 27.08.2012 13:10, Greg Stein wrote:
On Aug 27, 2012 6:15 AM, "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm jumping in late to this discussion after returning from vacation.
To summarize my understanding:

* As Joe says, there's no problem with current OpenOffice releases.

Agreed.

* The project is looking for ways to produce "blessed binaries" as a
part of future releases, and has been working with the relevant
parties (infra, legal, etc.) on the implications.

I have not seen this, especially in regards to this thread. Argument is
occurring on this list instead.

* I trust that the project is capable of continuing that work and
abiding with whatever conclusion also as after graduation.

Fair enough, but I do not share that trust. I fear the project claiming
unique difference, and damaging the Foundation, rather than an
understanding of how we can solve our mission together. I believe AOO has
unique characteristics and that the ASF needs to adapt, but I do not
believe the community cares to properly see through those changes.

It makes me sad that you think this way. I am part of the community and I do care about changes that will make AOO a well accepted TLP of the ASF. I am working very hard towards this goal and most of my work consists of exactly these changes. Things like downloading of external libraries and extensions, removing code that depends on external libraries with incompatible licenses, cleaning up code that depends on category-B licensed libraries or integrating the rat scan into the regular AOO build process.

I am a software developer, not a lawyer. In order to make the appropriate code changes I need very clear guidelines of what is in policy and what is not. When it comes to coding there is no room for contradictory interpretations or unprecise wording. The clearer and more explicitly stated the ASF policies are the better I can clean-up and improve our code.

> I see
> self-righteous bullying instead.

I don't. But maybe I got desensitized by a twelve year long exposition to feedback from end-users in mailing lists, forums, and bug comments, often enough in non too friendly words in all-uppercase letters.

The ASF and the people that make us what we are, are not perfect. We don't
know everything. But we *do* deserve consideration to make things Right.
AOO is an awesome opportunity or us all, and we should do what we can for
their success. It must happen with an old, and with a new, community
working together.

Thanks.  The same is true in the other direction.

-Andre