Since my post was mentioned later on this thread, I thought I would summarize
what I have as the take-away from intervening discussion.  I have no intention
to deal with the use of language (i.e., semantics of "convenience") and the way
that tacit policy understanding is conveyed among Apache project participants.

I will also refrain from any further additions to this topic.

TAKE-AWAYS

With regard to the production and delivery to users of authentic Apache
OpenOffice binary builds, there seem to be the following concerns (especially
for, but not limited to, Windows and Apple binaries and aggravated further by
the restraints that are growing around evolving "App Store" requirements for
consumer- and cloud-oriented platforms).  I see three cases:

   1. Authentication of binaries
   2. Provenance of bundled binary dependencies
   3. Availability of source for inspection, audit, and provenance

 1. AUTHENTICATION OF BINARIES

The desire for binaries to be signed using digital signatures with private keys
held by the ASF is a natural concern for authentication of a variety of
binaries produced by Apache projects.

There appears to be agreement that any such signature introductions must be
done by ASF-authorized agents.  The conclusion is that infrastructure would
perform such signings.  These signings, by virtue of their modification of the
unsigned binary, will invalidate any external signatures that were prepared as
part of the release process.  (It is possible to extract the internal signature
and verify an external signature, if that is ever any question about that.)

The signing party would have the reliance of the release-manager external
signatures and other attestation that the binary is produced from the release
sources.

This still leaves open additional concerns about the conditions under which the
binaries are produced and any difficulties that result.

An alternative is for the signing authority to also produce the binaries, using
the release sources directly on secured build machines.  There are a number of
technical problems that arise in this case, unless the release candidates were
built in the same manner but not (yet) signed.  That could work.  It would also
confirm that the binaries are indeed produced from the release's sources using
the parameters for the platform presumably also included in the source
materials.

The remaining question is, what is being attested to by the production of
binaries that are authenticated in this manner? Simply that they have been
built in this manner and that it was done using ASF infrastructure, the
integrity of which the ASF can be accountable for.  It is not an attestation
that there are no bugs, no security defects, or even that the IP provenance is
assured to be clean.  It is that the binary was produced under these particular
verifiable conditions from the source materials provided as part of the source
release along with dependencies on binaries incorporated in the build.

It also provides a strong differentiator for binaries, however they might be
identified, including even release candidates and developer builds, that were
not provided in this manner.

2. PROVENANCE OF BUNDLED BINARY DEPENDENCIES

A complication in (1) is the incorporation of binary resources on which the
source-code release depends in order to be built.  These might be authorized
(and usually authenticated) redistributables having closed-source origins.
These might be authorized open-source libraries that must be used without
construction from sources in order for authentication of the dependency to be
preserved.  (E.g., there are security libraries that have NIST certification on
the binary library, never the source, and the certification is also sustained
only when the library is used with specific tooling.)

For whatever reason, it is appropriate and preferable that the binary form of a
dependency be relied upon, whether a jar file, a static library, or a dynamic
library (DLL or SO) that becomes incorporated in the authenticated binary.

The specific dependencies of such a nature would need to be accounted for as
part of the authenticated build.  That requires more traceability to specific
artifacts and the basis for their reliance in some manner that does not involve
building of the dependencies from sources as part of the build.  This would
probably require additional rigorous treatment to satisfy requirements for the
integrity of the ASF project build.  It might take more than simple reliance on
the asserted IP and provenance of the upstream-obtained binaries.  I am
thinking that one needs to be specific to the artifact level, at least.

3. AVAILABILITY OF SOURCE FOR INSPECTION, AUDIT, AND PROVENANCE

On this thread, the importance of having source code available has been stated
as a strong requirement.  As far as I can tell, this is a requirement for IP
provenance more than anything else.

Of course, the good-faith reliance on upstream sources always comes to bear,
even for source-code contributions.  But having access to all source is
reported by some as being essential for ASF releases and that is tied to the
notion that the source code is the release.  (This is despite specific
provision in the treatment of licenses for distributing certain binary
artifacts in order to avoid license confusion.)

I don't have any clarity on this.  I know that it would be a serious burden to
some projects if there were restriction to authenticated builds for open-source
platforms only and/or restriction to exclusively open-source libraries for
other dependencies not satisfied by the platform itself.

To the extent that the requirement is for more than IP provenance and license
reconciliation, I am not clear who is being held to account for any deeper
scrutiny than that.  Are the PMC votes for a release expected to establish some
sort of serious attestation concerning the nature of the source?

Instead, is the requirement of specific source-code availability instead a
requirement for potential forensic requirements later in the lifecycle of a
release?  Can this be satisfied without the source be in the release, by
whatever arrangement and assurance that could be made to ensure its
availability whenever needed?

I have only question in this area.  I believe there is a definite concern, but
I am not sure where it has teeth beyond a ritual requirement.

 - Dennis