On a whole different direction, one way to "scale" is to shift from
Incubator-managed podlings to Board-managed. The podling would
effectively be a "TLP on probation". The Champion, Mentors, and Board
would be providing oversight.

I would posit that the Board is more capable of oversight than the
IPMC. The Directors have signed up to spend a lot of time -- more than
we expect of most volunteers. Not to mention the Board reviews 50+
reports every month. Another five won't kill the Board :-P

Thus, I might suggest that a proposed-podling may want to try the
above approach. (I dunno if the Board would agree, but somebody has to
formally ask!)

Cheers,
-g