Reviving this thread.  I've invited others to join in as well.

As a reminder, the proposed changes are here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201310.mbox/%3cC
e743d6a.14a96%25aha...@adobe.com%3e

And my goal is not just to fix up the voting doc, but to try to define a
default set of bylaws so projects don't have to, or have less to decide.

-Alex

On 10/4/13 11:25 AM, "Doug Cutting" <cutt...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific thing.
>> However, the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding votes, and
>> all others are either discouraged from voting (to keep the noise down)
>>or
>> else have their votes considered of an indicative or advisory nature
>>only.
>
>I'd suggest dropping the bit about 'discouraged from voting' and
>replace 'advisory only' with simply 'advisory'.  A non-PMC vote may be
>taken quite seriously or it might not be.  The only points you need to
>make here is that non-PMC votes are not binding but are generally
>welcome.
>
>> Unless otherwise specified by a project's bylaws, only [active
>> members)(glossary.html#ActiveMembers) who have been active in the last 6
>> months may cast binding votes.  A different definition of active member
>> may also be set in a project's bylaws.
>
>I think that policy is less universal and I'd suggest not implying it
>was a default rule for all projects without bylaws.  Some projects
>have periods of low activity and I'd expect votes of PMC members to
>still be considered valid even if they've not contributed for six
>months.  For example, we want a low-activity project to be able to
>apply a few patches and make a release even if fewer than three PMC
>members were active in applying those patches over the last six
>months.
My thinking here is that the definition of "active" includes other
activities besides just applying changes to code so that even low-activity
projects must have folks who count as active because they've at least
filed board reports.