On 19 Jun 2014, at 14:54, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@apache.org> wrote:

To this end, I'd like to prose a very simplistic criteria
for a potential retirement from the incubator: unless both
of of the following applies project get put to a retirement
IPMC vote:
* there has been a release in the past 12 months
* there has been a bona-fine change to a community
   structure in the past 12 months

+1

I think this is highly constructive, and I think the simplified criteria are a strong improvement. For those who are raising objections, consider that the
retirement vote **may not pass**.

Deadlines are great motivators. Just knowing that a retirement vote is looming should get those releases in the pipeline and those PPMC members proposed.

Having to make the case that the podling should continue is also an excellent exercise which should serve to focus the podling on the goals of the Incubator and help to educate as to what it means to be an Apache project. That is worthwhile even for podlings who may be extremely active like Drill, or those who take a while to ramp up like Celix. Email activity and commits are not enough on their own -- they may well get you the votes to get you through the
vote, but only a release or a community change should buy an automatic
extension.

I think its not enough to just look at release / committer additions.

In the case of Wave, there was a committer addition in the past year. Still no commits, nor a release. Looking closer you would find that committer was added because there was some excitement around at that time, with a lot of plans.
But then people were facing simply too much work for a small team, and
the motivation then stopped. A deadline wouldn't not help to get out a release.

That being said, I would like to re-suggest my initial thought with one modification:

- no new committer for a year
- AND no release for a year
- AND less than 20 emails in a month on dev@
- AND less than 10 commits/jira modifications in a month
- AND no way to change this in the next three months (in example: hackathon on horizon)

At least three of these requirements must be true to cause a retirement vote.

Thanks,

Christian

One suggestion: Make the "community" criteria an addition to the PPMC. Adding
a Mentor would count.

Marvin Humphrey

---
http://www.grobmeier.de