On 24 Jun 2014, at 21:27, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Upayavira <u...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014, at 12:02 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>>> On 24 Jun 2014, at 7:24, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>>> That said, reminding people of the "release often and early" thing is
>>> good to do,
>>> but also have in mind that incubator releases are very difficult to
>>> make.
>>
>> Unlike Christian (another Wave mentor :-) ), I am generally in support
>> of this proposal. If a project cannot get a release out, then it
>> suggests insufficient weight behind it. Releasing software is what the
>> ASF is about. It is acceptable that a mature ASF project, one that is
>> code-complete, doesn't release regularly, but an incubator project would
>> not fall into that camp, therefore being able to say "we can muster the
>> resources to make a 'legally valid release' within a year seems
>> eminently reasonable to me.
>>

> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/an_apache_openoffice_timeline
>
> In total, from entering incubation to first release was 11 months and
> a week.  So this confirms that a year, for most projects should be
> sufficient.  But there could be exceptions, due to factors similar to
> those I listed above.  But such exceptions should be rare.

Indeed the OOo was an impressive amount of work.

Reading comments from Upayavira and Rob, I am willing to support
the "relaxed" proposal of Roman. I would prefer mine, but
we can always do modifications as we see fit.

As it seems i was the only sceptic, we can try to formulate a patch
for our policies.

Thanks!

Christian