On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 9:30 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> I spoke with Geertjan this afternoon.  We both happened to be at the same
> popular java conference in San Francisco.  I did give him some advice on
> the current initial contributors list.  Basically two notes:
>
> - Add new members based on merit, not because prior to joining they are
> interested.  The way he explained it to me, many of the initial committers
> are interested in giving back to Netbeans.  They aren't able to due to the
> licensing model from Oracle but are willing to under Apache.  This doesn't
> mean they will or will not contribute, but there is an intent.  It may be
> better to add them to the project as they begin contributing.

This sounds a little bit contradictory to me. On one hand you're saying -- the
newcomers will be judged on merit. On the other hand you're saying that
initial committers list is not quite judged on merit alone but on the fact of
how much they "are interested in giving back to Netbeans".

Like I said, it would be useful to understand what the criteria for selection
was simply because IT MUST BE THE SAME for when somebody comes-a-knocking.

So all I'm asking is that criteria is clearly spelled out and everybody
agrees that this is it.

> - Ensure that everyone who has contributed to Netbeans in the past is aware
> and eligible to be a contributor.  There may be past employees who want to
> still give back.  Or even present employees who are now working on other
> projects.  They shouldn't necessarily be excluded from the list because
> they don't currently work on Netbeans right now.
>
> I do see some issues for the project if they miss people from the list.
> Voting in committers can be seen as a pain, especially if it is a
> potentially large list (I'm fairly certain that the initial committers list
> here is the largest of any project so far at Apache).
>
> I also want to make sure that the infra assessment is done before voting
> starts, just to make sure we're all in alignment on what is being expected.

That is my other concern as well.

Thanks,
Roman.