I agree with a lot of Dave Fisher's points.

Some mentors will fail. Let's not waste effort trying to 'vet' them
beforehand; it's time-consuming and counter-productive. Let's instead
make it easier to detect when mentors fail (I think the "Have your
mentors been helpful?" question on podling reports helps with that,
but we need to do more), and let's try to increase the supply of
potential good mentors. That way, we'll end up with good mentors, and
we'll bring active new members into the Foundation.

Julian