HI,

I think there's a couple of misconceptions in this thread. First off currently
you can join the IPMC two ways by being an ASF member and asking to join, the
other by being voted in. On average the people being voted in tend to not go
missing, review releases and sign off board reports more frequently.

This has come up on list the list before and some (ex)board members have
suggested that the IPMC shouldn’t;t allow people to be added this way.

The suggestion here isn’t to be exclusionary, in fact we now allow people who
have experience in incubator to ask if they can join, as it often hard for the
IPMC to recognise merit, but they still need to be voted in. [1] When a project
graduates I go though the PMC list and see if there are any likely IPMC
candidates and contact them to see if they are interested, you’ll notice that
more people have been voted in in recent times. In another thread I’ve gone one
step further and suggested that mentors look out for people on their projects
list who are release managers and vote on releases and suggest they be voted in
as IPMC members. [2] (Option D). I agree the bar should be low.

I do find it strange that we would allow people from a privileged group to auto
join, when they possibly may not have shown merit and/or have not being
involved in the incubator or an incubating project before. Obviously this
doesn’t apply to all ASF members that ask join the incubator, but I can point
to examples where this has given rise to serious issues. We’ve even had the
occasional mentor who has never sent an email to their podlings list, never
voted on a release and never signed off a board report.

I don’t mind if their's not consensus on this and letting this stay. There may
be better ways to make sure mentors who sign up do their job and make mentors
are more engaged. Please post your suggestions to this list for discussion.

Thanks,
Justin

1.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9ee3860bc9066ba682484542d34976ab21d9b62106f26a96f19d997f@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E