Hi Justin:

Again to further clarify the Docker image.

First of all, the PPMC is 100% with you that it is NOT fine to
release docker images with the Apache brand, or not following the
apache official release tag.

The test cache binary used by TVM CI is a different thing.
As the docker image itself is being used for test CI environment purposes.
For example ci-cpu contains the gcc compiler and deps like python,
tensorflow
in order to run the tests. The docker image itself does not contain TVM in
any form.

In order to use the ci-cpu, a developer would need to download a source,
enter the ci-cpu environment, and then type make to build tvm inside.

Q0: Why tag mismatch from Apache release tag

Whenever a ci dependency environment changes(e.g. we want to test against a
new version of tensorflow)
during development. We need to generate a new CI image for the test.
To generate a binary cache for the particular purpose of testing, we use a
new tag.
That is why the tag does not follow the Apache release tag because they are
different thing.

Q1: Why use thirdparty docker

The CI test environment can contain additional dependencies, e.g.
tensorflow/pytorch that may or maynot
be 100% Apache compatible. Because they are only used by the test cases and
are not dependency of the tvm itself.
We choose to use thirdparty binary caches, to simplify trademark concerns.
As per previous comment, we believe this is allowed

Q2: Branding

As mentioned in the above post, we agree that the name tvmai as a
thirdparty binary cache can be confusing,
and will move it to a name that is clearly thirdparty.

Q3: Pointing people to source releases

The PPMC is very mindful to only refer to the official Apache release as
official releases.

The install from source page indeed points people to the official Apache
release!
Note that the mention of github source explicitly contains "Developers
keyword".

TQ

---

- [1]