Hi Justin,

The story is a bit different. I started, maintained and build most of both
these code bases. And as far as I know I'm (still) legally both the author and
the owner of the IP as the company I work for (for the last 12 years) has a
chapter in their contract that states that any open source contributions made
are "owned" by the employee and not the company.

Probably also imortant to know, is that I initially started both these projects
using the Apache License, Version 2.

After having maintained the Terraform provider for a couple of years and having
build up a very good relationship with HashiCorp, we decided to "move" the
repository to a central location were (at the time, that has changed now) they
tried to gather all providers in a single Github org to make it clear which
providers we're officially supported.

In that Github org were both HashiCorp owned and maintained providers as well
as community owned and maintained providers.

Again to be clear, I never signed anything to officially donate the code to
anyone other then the software grant I send the other day to you guys.

Over time the provider was so stable that I disn't had to work on it anymore
and HashiCorp made some tweaks every now and then mainly to add the provider to
their CI/CD setup and to keep the Terraform SDK (plugin) used by the provider
up to date.

In that process the license has also been changed. But again I have never
concented to that (while I also didn't mind, orherwise I've would have
protested against it of course). So it very questionable which of the
contributers actually contributed during the presence of the Mozille license
(could of course be found using sone git foo).

Now as I said the code base is quite stale for a few years now and since I
don't use CloudStack anymore and HashiCorp doesn't have anyone working for them
with CloudStack knowledge, they archived the repo as there was no active
maintainer anymore.

At this point someone (probably Rohid) started something to revive the provider
and move it's ownership and code to Apache. As HashCorp didn't want to change
the license back because of legal stuff for them, they approached me and asked
if I could be a man-in-the-middle to help give the provider a second life.

I agreed and with that HashiCorp transferred the repo bak to me again. I
changed the license back and stepped through the hoops to offer it to Apache.

Hope this helps to resolve this discussion.

Sander

On 23 Jun 2021, at 07:12, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

HI,

> Justin why do we need Hashicorp? They are not involved or are the owner of
> the codebase/repos.

My understanding was the work was carried out in their repo and that they are
probably the IP owner of the codebase. Is that correct?

Also, currently [1] redirects to [2], I can see they host of what I assume are
releases of the software [3] and I can see major contributors to that repo
were/are Hashicorp employees.

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. http://github.com/hashicorp/terraform-provider-cloudstack