Here are more points to consider when evaluating canidates
and when defining the project goals:

* 100% Java (of course)
* Copyright clearance (including any required third party components)
* Supports both server/multi-clients mode and embedded configuration
* Reasonable performance and scalability
* Transactional
* Flexible data storage (not too restrictive limitation on row and cell
sizes).
* Easy migration to/from popular data bases

You can find a list of existing Java data bases at
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Java/Database-Related/
(I found it following Mike Dougherty's pointers, thanks Mike).

Tal