Joseph Dane wrote:

>  Alex> Can we turn off the munging of headers that is currently adding
>  Alex> Reply-to on all the jakarta lists?
>
>  Alex> Please read http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>  Alex> before asking why it's a problem.
>
> http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml
>
> my vote, FWIW, is to leave things as they are.

Thank you, Joe!  I hadn't seen that document before, and it's good to have a
list of all the counter-arguments (rather than a barrage of -1s).

I note for the record, however, that I received two copies of this email,
which means that Joe must have hit "Group Reply", so that means that *even
with* Reply-to munging on, the principle of minimal bandwidth is violated :-)

(I note also that since my From address is not my preferred address, anyone
replying to me personally from a list post will be using my internal
address, which may change at any moment -- Mr. Hill's reply-to-useful doc
doesn't address this. And I'm not demanding a response here, either -- as
far as I'm concerned, this question is asked and answered, and I'm happy to
get back to work.)

 - A

--
Alex Chaffee                       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]