| I note for the record, however, that I received two copies of this email,
| which means that Joe must have hit "Group Reply", so that means that *even
| with* Reply-to munging on, the principle of minimal bandwidth is violated :-)

Not that I think it matters _that_ much, but I seriously like the "reply
to all" thing when replying to a list, and always does it myself! ;)

The reasons are this:

I send a mail to a list, and then when someone replies to it:

*) I will know that it is a reply to _my_ post, not "just a new message".
Pine (and I believe all the rest) knows my email address, and therefore
"highlights" the messages which are replies to my post.

*) Sorting (Procmail). I can sort based on that this is a post to the
tomcat list, but my address is in the headers, therefore I'll also send a
SMS to my cell telling me of the newly arrived reply to my post. Just as
an example.

I believe it says more to include the original posters address than not
doing it. You can use "formail" to delete duplicates, I believe.

If there is some other way of doing those two things I pointed out, please
let me know..

| (I note also that since my From address is not my preferred address, anyone
| replying to me personally from a list post will be using my internal
| address, which may change at any moment

Then why not change your From: ? I use my personal address when posting to
forums and friends and such, and my work address when mailing to collegues
and business stuff. This I do using Pine's "Roles", so that the From: is
based on which folder I'm standing in when writing or replying.

--
Mvh,
Endre