I fail to understand why you assume this. Why?

I do not see POI making the generation of Word documents by FOP that
much easier (it just takes care of a small bit of a very long path) but
I see it taking care of most of the work of indexing Word and Excel
documents with Lucene.

Of course that maybe the Lucene guys do not want to support the indexing
of specific document formats...

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar