On 1/5/02 7:28 PM, "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am not trying to be combative - I have watched this thread (and
>participated) with growing discomfort.  I have to say that I think that
>bringing XML and Jakarta together might destroy the thing we are
>supposedly
>trying to 'save' (again, I don't get the problem...), namely the
>community
>that each group has.  Larger isn't always better.

I kinda agree with you on that.

>> > I also think we are more than ready for a POI vote, if someone were
>> post an actual proposal, including the list of committers.
>> In that proposal, can it be argued why it belongs here?  I have tried
>to sit
>on the fence, and I am glad Stefano will step up to champion the
>project,
>but I also think that if he scope of Jakarta is confusing now, adding a
>vendor-specific desktop document API (granted, with server-side uses)
>will
>add to it.

>There was recent talk for other "clearly client" projects to be added,
>with
>the same apparent quality of code and health of community - why not
>bundle
>the two as a seed for a new Apache client-focused project to be a peer
>jakarta and XML and ...?  If you have used any of the pure Java IDE's
>lately, it's clear that Java has indeed matured enough for use on the
>desktop, and initiatives on other client-side devices such as phones,
>PDA's,
>etc make for a very rich opportunity for Apache.  Further, meta-API
>initiatives like Liberty which span both server and client (of all
>types)
>are clearly in Apache's interest, so I believe that a client-focused
>Apache
>project is appropriate for that reason as well.

Maybe its not yet time for a vote.  Let me state this again and make it
very clear.  POI has many users and many uses.  No one I know of is
using POI on the client.  POI is as client-side as Tomcat is. (Tomcat is
used by Netbeans a pure Java-IDE on the client!).  HTML is for use on
the client right?  So is a library that outputs in HTML is clientside or
serverside?  Cocoon publishes documents that are generally read on the
client right?

Please read these posts and then tell me where you're not clear?

http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40jakarta.apache.org/msg02681.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40jakarta.apache.org/msg02685.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40jakarta.apache.org/msg02690.html

POI::HSSF reads or generates XLS files and is nearly always used on the
server .  OF all POI's users not one person is using it on the client.
Please check out http://poi.sourceforge.net.  The page describes its
usage

-Andy

                        - fix java generics!