Hi Geir,

I would you want to have something on the client side besides the browser?

> I would choose b), as I think of word and excel as a client-side
> thingy.  No matter that my use is server-side...

Man, people that want documents in Excel and Word formats ALREADY have the
client software!!! It is called Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel!

> > So is a library that outputs in HTML is clientside or
> > serverside?
>
> Serverside generally, as the canonical model of HTML use is the web, with
> clear delineation of server and client.  However, it indeed has clientside
> uses - take for example any help system that outputs HTML within a
> monolithic desktop application.

So, generally with zillions of exceptions.

> Conversely, I would argue that Excel is a totally client-side technology,
> and therefore a library that works with XLS files is clientside
> generally as
> the canonical model of Excel is on the desktop.  However, it indeed has
> serverside uses....

That is just like saying that "the HTML browser is totally client-side
technology (as are HTML editors) and therefore a library that works with
HTML files is clientside generally".

If you go on I will end up getting to the conclusion that Velocity is a
client
side tool.

This kind of definition is BS. Means nothing.

We are discussing the sex of angels.

> > Cocoon publishes documents that are generally read on the client right?
>
> Yes, but it's more than an API, right?  (I don't know much about
cocoon...)

IMO it is much more that an API.

Cocoon can be used a bit like Anakia (as was recently mentioned on this
list)
to produce static documents, except that uses XSLT (argh!) for templating
and
can produce many output formats (HTML, PDF (via FOP), SVG, graphics (via
Batik), etc.).

It also can be used as a Servlet.

> >From what I read, POI is an API that accesses data in XLS files...
> > Theres a huge difference.
>
> And Cocoon isn't part of Jakarta, is it? :)

JUST because it is XML centric, which POI is not.

BTW, do you know they use Velocity for something???

> I don't necessarily think that xml.apache.org is the right place either,
> although I am not a member of that community in any way shape or form, so
> that opinion is worth the bits through which it was transmitted.

Ok.

> I think that a client project peer to jakarta is still the right place, at
> least worth discussing,  as we have the interesting temporal convergence
of
> the proposal of multiple client side projects when java on the client side
> is becoming a much more interesting space to work.

I had that opinion, but when I started imagining what I would use it for I
found that I had LESS client side uses for it than for Velocity!
=;o)

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar