"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
> > Man, people that want documents in Excel and Word formats ALREADY have the
> > client software!!! It is called Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel!
>
> I looked and looked on my linux box, but couldn't find it.  Send me a CD.

How about saving the postage and downloading a client from here:

 http://www.openoffice.org/

HTTP doesn't care about the format of the documents an application
renders as a response. HTML is just a default. Applications often render
images and PDFs dynamically. The same could be done with documents in
any format. And since the Microsoft formats support hyperlinks, one
could do an entire Web app that way, and use any client that understood
the format. (Like the above.)

So, if XML doesn't care if POI is here or there, and the POI people
would just as soon have it here, that's fine with me.

I believe the POI developers have shown that they understand what it
means to be a ASF product (at least as much as anyone does), and if
Stefano is willing to re-enlist and help shepard POI into the fold, then
I say let's move ahead.

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/