Of course, but are you sure it is so clear that POI should mostly be used
for presentation and indexing?

> >> However, you point out in the above link that the thing that makes POI
> >> special is it's ability to *write*?  What's the % of mainly writing to
> >> mainly reading on the serverside?
> >
> > As mentioned in my previous posting, it is JUST like Velocity writing
> > HTML.
> >

> Huh?  You have to explain that a little more - I don't quite get it.

POI writes Word/Excel formats as Velocity writes HTML.

The fact that Velocity writes HTML does not make it neither client side
neither server side - it can be used both ways.

> >> Paulo might use VB to make a client side app, but I wouldn't
> if I wanted
> >> portability, especially if I was looking to the handheld or embedded
> >> application that could access a document remotely...
> >
> > Are there many uses for writing Word/Excel documents in a client-side
> > device that has not Word or Excel installed???
>
> You might find this unbelieveable, but not everyone works on a
> computer that runs an operating system that has Word or Excel available.

And is there many people NOT having Word or Excel installed that care about
writing Word and Excel documents in a CLIENT device???

However, of course that I want to write such formats on a SERVER device
without any MS stuff (Linux), so that clients WITH MS software installed
can read them.

Your examples represent rare needs. Not impossible, but quite improbable.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar