----- Original Message -----
From: "Leo Simons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta General List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 8:59 PM
Subject: RE: Printable pages

> Berin:
>
> Jon:
> > > Correct.
>
> Me:
> > I don't know much about anakia, but I know more about xhtml and css
> > than I do about java (sadly so =). I'll volunteer.
>
> http://www.leosimons.com/scratchpad
> (note I tried to put this in CVS but have no karma so...)
>
> Here's a design I've had lying around adapted to Jakarta. Two screen
> shots using IE 5.5, one is normal the other is print preview. I should
> be able to make this work (more or less, at least) in everything
> from NS2.x upwards. HTML also available for browsing.
>
> The main problem is the <code> sections. If the line is too long to
> fit on screen or page, it causes the entire page to break out, which
> is ugly. The only thing I can think of is to use a css "float: left"
> directive with @print, which cuts of a bit of the code. That, and
> adapting the pages manually to keep the line length at bay. Suggestions?
>
> Of course, colors are adaptable to current ones if desired...
>
> thoughts? Is this wanted?

Looks good to me, certainly better than the avalon section as it stands
IMHO, just a couple of points though.
I like the "Apache.org > Jakarta > Avalon > Framework: " depth indication -
would be great to see this applied across the board.
I can't decide which way around I like the logos at the top but in this
arrangement the jakarta.gif could do with losing the whitespace to the right
because at the moment it looks all misaligned - especially when squashed in
print (maybe we could use half size versions in print - not thought this
through yet though).
I like the menu on the left being boxed but can't see how its that useful in
print - why not use a @print & "display:none" so that browsers with decent
css /  printing support don't print it at all - this would allow lots more
space for printing, and so less concern about overflowing code.
Colour scheme looks great on screen (quite like the print version for screen
too - but bolder is probably better), but in print my preference is for high
contrast and so I would prefer black rather than grey for the headings - If
its going to come out grey on black and white printers then maybe choose the
blue instead to add a bit more contrast to colour prints.

Just my 2p,

Rob