> > Centaven Reasoning: I don't see how we can easily do this. The approaches
> > are wildly different at basic levels, e.g. dvsl vs xsl, entities vs
> > external build files for ant, extending GUMPs descriptor vs generating one
> > etc.
>
> I can agree with that. Hell, the dvsl vs. xsl is a showstopper for me.
>
> I can't stand XSL...

you guys are better software architects than this. Whether to use DVSL
or XSL could be use case decided and probably hot-pluggable if it
matters that much. This is possible and not a showstopper at all.

Both projects may need some refactoring. Stop the whining about that it
is not possible. I'm perfectly sure that if y'all want it to be
possible, then it is possible. I've seen GUMP people say it is to some
extent at least, I've seen Centipede people say it is...

It might not be possible, but not for technical reasons. Don't present
it as such.

> > Krysalis lists (in the archive) total 53 posts. Maven
> > dev (includes cvs) has 780, and the user list 151.
>
> Lol...guess it is really fact now.

what is?

and it goes on....

> > I'm perfectly happy when people don't like
> > XSLT and scratch their own itches, but I do find it quite
> > counterproductive when projects are considered to be less 'cool'
when
> > they prefer to use standards above home-brown solutions. I'm afraid
> > really don't want to know your opinion on Xalan and Cocoon, then :-)
>
> First off, Velocity isn't any more home brewed than JSP. Just because
it
> came from 'Sun' doesn't mean it is a standard.
>
> Reality is that JSP was created by someone who never created a web app
in
> his life.

2 definitions of standard:

1) "endorsed by a standards body accepted as authoritive"
2) "being in widespread daily use across the industry"

XSLT is a W3C recommendation so it fits 1), there's dozens of open and
closed source projects using it so it fits 2).

JSP fits 2), sadly so. I blame MS and Sun for flooding the market with
tools released to soon.

I think Velocity fits 2), though I've never seen this measured in any
accurate way. I don't know at all about DVSL (in fact, I don't know much
more about DVSL than that it is quite useful and easy to use).

Having said the above, the argument could be made that XSLT is more of a
standard than DVSL is (which I think can for some of our use cases be
compared to an extent).

However, the implicit argument "home-brewn solutions are worse than
standards" simply doesn't always hold true. It doesn't here. Both XSLT
and DVSL are here at Apache, which, for me, is enough of a "standard".

Basically, all this is to point out masquerading of egotism as technical
discussion. This is all very much unneccessary. I personally don't
really care what build tool/platform becomes a standard at Apache. I
also don't care about XSL vs DVSL. As long as it fills the use case
(which every project at Jakarta and XML has), I'm happy. However, it
would be __really nice__ to have some kind of internal apache standard.

If y'all could agree on at least parts of the 'client API' (ie what I
have to do to maven/centipede/gump/forrest/whatever-enable my projects),
that'd be really cool and I'd help out as much as I can. If this won't
work because of egos, standards, or other annoying things being in the
way, well, that's sad.

cheers,

- Leo